We tested the Santini VEGA Multi jacket for men. An ideal jacket for winter
Trying on Santini garments turns out to be a journey through the quality of “made in Italy“, with the new asset of the company after the generational change and the new art director Fergus, we are used to see and try a collection attentive to the style aspects that do not compromise the technical aspect thanks to its long experience and the professional cycling teams it sponsors.
1. The VEGA Multi jacket
First of all, we have to talk about how the concept of this type of jacket was born, which today in modern cycling has replaced the use of the second layer. The current trend is to have a garment to wear alone with underwear and that is why membrane fabric technologies have followed manufacturers in the making of these garments.
2. Polartec Power Shield fabric
This is the fabric chosen by Santini for the manufacture of the VEGA multi jacket. It is a fabric that at first glance may seem very light and in fact the weight is very low, but this should not confuse you. Polartec Power Shield Pro fabrics have a smooth, tightly woven surface for ideal abrasion resistance and a polyester lining for optimum warmth-to-weight ratio.
The membrane in the centre allows the fabric to block the wind at 99%. The remaining 1% of air circulates inside the fabric, which significantly increases the transmission of sweat and moisture to the outside and reduces heat build-up due to intense physical activity. Polartec Power Shield fabrics offer the best breathability available in the soft-shell market; in active or dynamic conditions, they are 30-50% more breathable than thin windproof layers.
3. The construction of the VEGA Multi jacket
We tested a size M jacket with a slim fit like a Castelli Perfetto, a fit that allows us to wear a second layer if necessary. Super-Roubaix cut cuffs on the outside are attached to a waterproof layer. One of the only flaws that stands out about the jacket is that it is slightly loose fitting.
The back features three classic pockets plus an additional zippered pocket in the centre, which has the ribbon detail for easy opening with gloves. The tail is constructed with rain protection and a reflective detail runs all the way down the back for improved visibility on the road.
The front zipper also has a slider that is easy to use with gloves.
4. Tested under the rain
We tested the Santini VEGA Multi jacket in ideal conditions, with a temperature of about 9 degrees and a thick autumn drizzle. All in all, a day when the smart alternative would have been a comfortable sofa.
The Santini VEGA Multi jacket has met the expectations and premises of the proposal that Santini makes to its customers, a jacket “designed to wrap you in a warm embrace”, as soon as you leave, you have a feeling of freshness that passes immediately after the end of the warm-up phase and allows you to feel immediately at ease even during phases of intense sweating (although we recommend opening the jacket in case of longer climbs).
Rain resistance is good (5000mm in the water column) and the hydrophilic membrane is activated when the body temperature rises rapidly. Membranes of this type “work” with temperature differences. In the orange version we also feel very visible and, on the way, back at 5 p.m. when it gets dark, it’s an extra sense of security.
The Santini VEGA Multi jacket is a high-performance jacket, with a low price tag (240 euros) but which, once tested, has proven to be worth it, considering that it is a flexible garment at many temperatures and that you will undoubtedly use for more than one season.